Friday, August 10, 2007

Still not following a pattern


I now know how to cast on, cast off and knit on a circular needle. Therefore I decided I was ready to knit and felt my own bag out of a design created from my head. Felting is great for beginners as it virtually eliminates any mistakes or sloppy stitches. I'd recently taught myself basic fair isle colour changes and thought I may be able to design my own pattern. I decided on a two colour flame design and spent a long time charting it out on knitters graph paper (I've added the link at the left) till I thought it looked reasonable. Knitting up the design required that I was not too distracted as I had to count and recount every stitch on every row. This too took rather a long time. The colours are dark brown, dark red and sort of a bluish teal for the centre of the flame. I tried to knit as loosely as possible but found the yarn still pulled a bit around my design. After two feltings it is not as noticeable and I think the bag turned out allright although I wish I'd made the strap a little shorter as it did not shrink nearly as much as the rest of the bag for some reason. I've tied a knot in the top of the bag which does not appear in the photo. I only wish I'd taken a "before felting" photo.

No comments: